Sunday 12 October, 2008

a Butter-Knife (and the answer to all of life's more pressing and intriguing questions)

M's arrival was not a planned one.

No no.. correction. The entire process of his arrival was meticulously planned. Down to the very last detail. To the very last bottle and bib, the very last home remedy for assorted post natal maladies, the vary last well meaning (read: shrill) grandmother, the very last proud prospective (read: harassed beyond mere words can describe) parent.

His creation was quite another matter. That was the unplanned bit. As a consequence of a fairly pleasant weekend in Atlanta, S found herself feeling "somewhat lousy". She figured it was one of two things: gas or breast cancer. The fool.

But as far as accidents go, M is quite the beautiful one. He has ten perfect fingers and ten perfect toes. The softest belly and the roundest bottom. The loveliest head of hair, the smoothest and flawlessest skin. And the warning signs of what will someday be a very fetching pout.

I am reliably informed that he has other, seemingly endless charming attributes. To be revealed on closer inspection of course. But I'm quite content to admire from afar. Although M is more beautiful today than he will ever be I can't wait for him to get older. To talk to him. Read to him.

Not that conversation is a more evolved form of communication. Its just one I'm better at I suppose. One I'm more comfortable with. M will just have to wait till I come out of my shell and make up for all the hugs and kisses I haven't lavished on him.

And I'll wait patiently, for him to grow up.

*hug*

*

So much to say, I feel I'll burst at the seems. But all in good time. All in good time.

*

When is one ever sure of what one wants? I experienced a moment of great clarity today as I was leaning over the kitchen drawer. Usually I would settle for anything- a spoon, a fork. That is if I feel like upgrading from using my index finger or a Reynolds pen. But today was different. I needed to spread peanut butter as finely as possible on only the most golden brown toasted piece of whole wheat bread. I knew what I required and I was not going to budge till I got it.

A butter-knife.

If only every other decision was that simple. Guess I shall have to take life one piece of cutlery at a time.

No comments: