Thursday 13 November, 2008

Lionesses: Of Punjab and Elsewhere

The circumstances of C's exit (or is 'eviction' a more apt word) from the Shamrock house were dramatic to say the least. Purely due to the involvement of so many drama queens in a small confined space. Far above the legally permissable limit I think. There was much yelling and screaming (the word banshee pops into my mind) followed by much impolite (albeit less shrill) small talk. And more luggage than I had ever thought one person could possess. I thought I was packing impaired, till I met C. Her idea of moving house is to cram all her assorted odds and ends into a sequence of flimsy polythene bags... and pray. Luckily, even after a hard day's work I was at my good samaritan best and supplied her with a couple of airbags. Thats me you see, steady and dependable in times of adversity. Especially if the adversity involves a nice juicy fight which I'm not a part of.
M seemed angrier than I've ever seen her. And murderously sarcastic too. And adding some much needed fuel to an already crackling fire was the latest entrant into my life.. Isabel. She fought like a lioness. Against what I'm not quite certain. In fact I didn't see the point of any of it. But that didn't prevent me from deriving bucketloads of joy from all that transpired.
Being congenitally averse to inviting conflict of any sort, I feel fortunate to be thrust in the midst of it once in a while. It makes life seem more real. Fighting my own battles is something I procrastinate about and can postpone till the cows come home. In fact, most often the cows are home, done chewing and digesting, taking a nap etc. and I'll just change my mind. All the anger just drains away.
I have enough people telling me this is a sign of weakness. And maybe it is. But changing requires too much effort. Being a mouse comes naturally. Why, pray tell, would I want to mess with nature?
I think the world could do with more people like me. Who experience the joys of conflict vicariously. Unless of course all the pent up anger comes spilling out one fine day. I doubt it will. There is something so noble about remaining calm. I feel it is my unique gift to the world.
As for M and C, both deeply regret the Tuesday Night Massacre. They may have different versions of what happened but they agree on the fundamentals: Both didn't want to part ways on a bitter note. C didn't see it coming. M is as surprised. She thought Swedish people were pacifists.
I think I managed to convince both that it was just one of those rare unfortunate incidents in an otherwise simple and blissful life. M will go on hosting dinner parties, watching movies and hopefully scripting some soon as well. C will go on with her assignments, trying to change the world's perception of itself, one photograph at a time.

And I'll be here or there, hopefully everywhere, with something or the other to say..

Roar..

*
Notes:
1. C: freelance photographer, erstwhile neighbour
2. M: aspiring script writer, die hard fan of single malt whisky, Landlady
3. Isabel: Coming attractions.. watch this space
4. Me: Innocent bystander

1 comment:

Perakath said...

Brilliant post, Blim.