Saturday 6 November, 2010

Pleasures of the Flesh #3: Nonsense Rhyme of Early Morning Love

I wrote this a really long time ago. I was ashamed of it then and am even more so today. At first it was a question of my convent school girl propriety - who writes so brazenly about post-coital bliss? Later the sheer gooey-mushy-sugar syrupy-ness of what I’d written horrified me. Now, a year (or two?) older, somewhat brazen-er and decidedly less romantic, I am just plain and simple appalled at its quality (or lack thereof). Bleh...

But I know the person who wrote this. I know her well. She’s a good sort. The kind who’d sincerely plod through the better part of the night just to construct a plausible rhyme (and cheat only once in a while – refer to stanza 2). To paint a pretty picture with words. Because pretty pictures need to be painted. Sincerely.

So without further ado, coming to you from the pen of a slightly younger, slightly plumper and slightly more lyrical me –


The lonely Sun performs morning chores

And stealthily through the window pours

Upon a boring pair of apple cores

Wrapped tight in early morning snores


As time chides their belatedness

Inconvenienced by nakedness

The triumphant lazy tangled mess

Steers clear away of awaked-ness


An elaborate jigsaw of limbs now tired

Quietly reflects on all that transpired

Having not long ago been indescribably wired

For the hours are too short when so much is desired


Soon the universe seems to have espoused

The cause: to have this demon roused

So slothfully in its warm nest housed

Asleep... The rapture long past doused


But the beast remains a picture of repose

Twiddling its mildly intoxicated toes

(she hides in her neck his slumbering nose)

Could the elements have had the gall to suppose


They could break a spell that so stubbornly lingers

Far too long ‘twixt the skins of intertwined fingers?


I dedicate this post to Pooch. We seem to have an awful lot of conversations about love and sex and tragically little of either of the two. Sigh... If only cupid didn’t insist on being so indifferent with two charming, engaging and stunningly beautiful specimens.

4 comments:

PPP said...

Swati, I love you:)

And this is lovely, and I'm only glad to have it dedicated to me.

PPP said...

Also, where is pleasures of the flesh# 1 and 2?

blimblop said...

i like the first 2 a lot more
please to be reading -
* http://blimblop.blogspot.com/2009/03/pleasures-of-flesh.html

*http://blimblop.blogspot.com/2009/03/pleasures-of-flesh-2-aka-bad-blog-post3.html

you've even commented on the second one you bum! so thats how forgettable my writing is... sob...

blimblop said...

oh and i love you too...
kiss kiss...