Monday 10 December, 2007

Stress becomes her

I have aged so tremendously over the course of the past two weeks. I discovered two white hairs in my head (rather, was informed of their presence by observers). I think I shall christen them- “mumbai” and “bangalore”.

The weather in delhi has taken a turn for the horrible. This evening was cold and bitterly so. And the worst is yet to come. I feel an evil wind making it’s way, steadfast, toward me. I am all set to be beset with the most tedious of worries for the next month and a half at least. And (audience be warned) I am also all set to be incurably whiny, relentlessly complain-y, incorrigibly bitchy and generally all variants of unpleasant.

“I” ask “Myself”: whatever did “I” do to deserve this?
“Me” (forever the irritatingly astute observer) responds: you colossal nincompoop, you raised your hand… remember?
“Myself” chimes in with an indecisive:
Woe is “Us”… whatever will we do?
No no, everything will work out for the best… there is so much to be learnt
But the madness hasn’t even begun and “We” are already exhausted… sigh sigh sigh
Ah… what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, hardship builds character, this is a truly enriching and rewarding experience.

The five of us (for the confused or those who lost count: We, Us, I, Me and Myself) are still trying to reach a consensus.

As a hapless victim of the most acute case of “volunteer-eritus” I really should have seen this coming. I’m pretty sure I haven’t bitten off too much. But who knew all this chewing could be so boring?

What is most lamentable about my current state of affairs is the sheer absence of any nature of distraction. Maybe I should acquire a hobby, learn to play a musical instrument or take to smoking or something. Surviving the first year was easy, made easier still by the tubs of coffee I consumed and the general optimism that characterizes youth (yes, to reiterate- I feel I have aged immeasurably). But this year, especially the last bit is proving just a smidge more challenging.

Academic pursuits are the most likely to prove casualty to the hectic pace that life has recently acquired which leaves me feeling more than a little disappointed with myself. And given the sad state of affairs a boyfriend seems clearly out of the question. D school hasn’t even left me with anything to lech at- the general hopelessness of the in house population being further compounded by the steadily deteriorating quality of “passers by”, “hangers on” and miscellaneous elements. Even the travelling troubadours and resident cat stranglers never fail to disappoint. And the Jats are trying so very hard to get louder and uglier, which seems virtually impossible… but never say never, I say.

The OQ (ogle quotient) here has declined to unprecedented lows… life sure is unfair.

But as always, I have managed to brainwash myself into believing that a resilient silver lining is in the offing. When this madness winds up in January, it will all be worth it. Maybe I’ll take a vacation for a couple of days, to some nice warm place. It needn’t be a grand or glamorous trip, just one that allows me the luxury of sleeping in late, taking the occasional long walk or two, reading a book and staring off into space for hours together.

I’m not too fussy about location either. Presently, there’s only one place I’m sure I want to go. Away.

No comments: