Thursday 4 October, 2007

stupid cupid

you know i figured out why i haven't fallen in love yet.. after carefully eliminating what was a very long list of possible reasons i've finally reached a conclusion. and i'm surprised it took me so long to see the light..

i've messed with the gods of cyberspace..

ever get one of those mails (evil chain letters) that warn you of dire consequences such as- forward this to at least ten people or else you'll die unhappy/lonely/miserable/a virgin etc.? if your aswer is an emphatic/exasperated (notice i love "/"s) yes then my hypothesis will make a little more sense. i too have received such epistles of gloom and doom. in fact, days seem incomplete without a warning of my impending and possibly perpetual single status..

but as much as i love skimming through these doomsday prophecies, i've never actually mustered up the energy to actually pass the word on to others. and that friends is why cupid has snubbed me time and time again.. the little bastard is in on the whole thing. i've angered the powers that be in the world of "www" and just about every god in every pantheon by association. my lethargy and procrastination have condemned me to a loveless existence..

now i'm a fairly rational person and ordinarily i'd dismiss such explanations as fanciful. but very recently a friend (and also one of the most intelligent people i've ever met, name withheld for obvious reasons) forwarded just such a mail to me (it claimed i'd "meet the man/woman of my dreams TOMORROW" if i just sent the mail across to 20 people). now i don't know if it worked for him (or her.. thought you'd got me there didn't you?) but the very fact that he/she sent the mail across implies he (ok fine i'll admit it was a "he") must be on to something.
and given that he is far brighter than myself, it is but natural that he picked up the scent before me.. but in time figured it out nonetheless

my brilliant powers of deduction notwithstanding, i'm still reluctant to just go ahead and do it.. submit to conspiratorial gods and just click "forward"..

i mean, what if i'm not ready to meet the man/woman of my dreams tomorrow (i'm usually scheduled for a bad hair day on friday), what if i need some time to prepare? what if i just want to see the man/woman of my dreams, give it some thought and chart out a course of pursuit. there are just so many variables to consider, so much spontaneity to be planned. its not easy to just fall in love you know.. ask me!

so i'll let this one pass (after all i'm certain i'll get another one in no time at all). but the next one will be shot out to unsuspecting friends (or assorted elements who comprise my mailing list). i'll give myself a few more days to curse and complain.

i'm just a little scared though.. the only thing that's worse than some fool proof plans not working.. is well.. when they work.

No comments: